This is how each 2 mile leg of Kentucky run will work -
The timing is very specific and will be listed by mile at specific intervals via our route links on this website. A small core team of athletes running 8-9 minute miles will arrive at the designated time (or as close as possible). When runners arrive at the hero marker they will be carrying four full size flags as well as small sets of American and Honor and Remember flags. American, Kentucky State, Honor and Remember and Sacrifice Flags. If available they will hand those four flags to any supporters waiting at the marker (veterans, or supporters, not necessarily family). They will then read each name of the hero, branch of service and date of death. Runners will take turns presenting the small flag sets to the Gold Star Family members that are present at that Hero Marker. After salute, the runners will pay respects to waiting immediate family members if present with a hug. Core runners will retrieve flags from those holding and then begin next set of miles. This will be accomplished in 90 seconds or less. There will be no hesitation, other families are waiting ahead. Each marker is specifically accounted for, 20 minutes apart. Families can fellowship before and after runners arrive at that Hero Marker.
1. Runners approach Hero Marker
2. Hand flag set over to waiting people if available. (otherwise hold)
3. Flags held at attention by people at marker
4. Runners read hero information.
5. Runners salute the hero and family. (pay respects)
6. New runners card and flag sets are handed to a runner for the next leg.
7. Runners retrieve flag set and start to next Hero Marker.